John Grant (1805-1889) was a successful farmer who owned several farms in Glenlivet. He was known for breeding champion Aberdeen Angus cattle. On the other hand, the Glenfarclas Distillery was located between the Grant farms in Glenlivet and the market in Elgin.
Drivers going to and from the market would stop to water their cattle, rest their weary feet and enjoy the restorative powers of one or two drams of Glenfarclas Single Malt whisky. So, it made perfect sense for John Grant to purchase the Glenfarclas Distillery when it was put up for sale in 1865. Glenfarclas is one of the few privately owned distilleries left in Scotland. It is regarded by many as one of the most successful family owned distilleries in Scotland’s history, and as their slogan ‘The Spirit of Independence’ shows, the Grants remain fiercely proud of the distillery’s private status.
George S. Grant
George S. Grant
Since John Grant’s purchase of Glenfarclas in 1865, the distillery has been run and managed by six generations of his family, the Grants. Their history is inexorably connected with the successes and challenges faced by the distillery and the world around it. They have fought through wars, varying economic climates, but all the while maintained their spirit of independence.
In 2006, Whisky Magazine named Glenfarclas “Distiller of the Year” for being consistently good through the years, and staying true to their core values. The family ethos of consistency and quality ensures that Glenfarclas is one of the few distilleries that still holds such high quality, maturing, rare old whisky in its warehouses.